What are the 10 things beginners should know about photography?
We live in a time where instant gratification is almost always expected. We use digital cameras and phones where the image is immediately visible, we edit and upload from our mobile devices and get likes and comments almost instantly.
So, it is to be expected that when in comes to learning photography people might feel the same way. They buy new and expensive cameras, start photographing and expect that the amazing photos will just appear on the back of the screen.
Unfortunately great photography does not work like this. Here are 10 things all novice photographers need to know:
1. There are quite a lot of things to learn. The good news? You really don’t need to learn them in the beginning. Take it one step at a time. In order to start producing beautiful photos you need to know very little. The rest will come with practice.
2. You do not need the latest and greatest camera or lens to create beautiful photos. Don’t believe me? Look at the work of some of the world greatest photographers. They have used cameras that are technically inferior to even the smartphone cameras today. Practice, patience, knowledge of composition and light is what will make your photos great. Not more unnecessary gear.
3. Spend time to study composition and light. If there is one think that immediately separates the photos from beginner and experienced photographers, this is the knowledge of how to use light and composition technics.
4. Editing your photos is important. Comparing the photos that come straight from your camera with photos from photographers found online is a bad idea. Every photo fond online nowadays is most likely edited in some way. So, if you expect to get similar results straight from the camera you are headed for a great disappointment.
5. But don’t rely only on editing, try to get it right in camera. Editing takes time and not everybody wants to do it, so getting your photos good in camera is a must. Before pressing the shutter make sure that the light in you photo is good and the composition is great!
6. Take time to learn the compositional rules and techniques, so that you can break them with confidence. Good composition is not hard and will greatly improve your photography.
7. Getting better means that you will become more critical towards your own photos. Make sure that you know what makes certain photos great and how to critique your own work.
8. Everything becomes interesting if you look at it long enough. Don’t excuse yourself for not taking enough photos because you lack interesting subjects or surroundings.
9. Watching movies can help you greatly to learn composition and light. Learn more here: Learning photography composition from watching movies.
10. Be patient! Observe and explore your surroundings, try different technics and angles, take many photos, practice daily if possible, be curious and don’t be satisfied with the first photo you take.
Do you have more to add to these 10 things beginners should know about photography? Let me know in the comments!
Would you like to know more? Consider joining one of my workshops here: Photo Workshops in Brussels. Feeling adventurous? www.PhotoAdventures.be